Clicky

Forums » Medical Tourism

The Best Indian Hospitals

• December 13, 2014 2:39 PM CET

Starting on Monday I hope to give an indepth info on indian hospitals, their contacts and agents and possible quotations for Nigerians in Need of medical tourism. 

Join Me

This post was edited by Jonathan L Ajah at December 28, 2014 4:27 PM CET
  • December 13, 2014 10:16 PM CET
  • December 13, 2014 10:19 PM CET

I will give you people extensive info on the 

Apollo hospitals and Dr Agarwal Eye hospital which has branches in Nigeria and around Africa

This post was edited by Jonathan L Ajah at January 19, 2015 6:53 PM CET
  • December 14, 2014 11:41 PM CET

So, any reason why you are encouraging tourism to India? Some doctors and patients have experience bad services in some of those places. And sometimes people go to India for procedures that can easily be done in Nigeria

• December 15, 2014 12:19 AM CET

Its not for a pecuniary reason if thats what you mean, with the present state of our medical services where minimally invasive surgery and procedures are herculean task in govt hosp not forgetting the fact that transplant surgery is mostly practiced in theory and simple procedures like chemoport and central venous line insertion are hardly carried outt.Do you expect me as a doctor not to educate people on the best indian hospitals to seek healthcare when the need arises.Indian hospitals offer most of the health care treatments nigerian patient at competitive costs. 

• 7 posts
    January 19, 2015 6:05 PM CET

This is a very slippery slope and as a fellow Nigerian I would say on one hand patients should be made aware of their options and maybe this will make our government sit up to improve our home grown health care. On the other hand patients must also be made aware of the underhanded practices many doctors that collaborate with these Indian centers do. For instance, accepting a percentage of the patients bill for a referral to India is not fair to patients. 

• January 19, 2015 6:48 PM CET

EGBUNA I understand your fears, but r u aware all tertiary hospitals both state n fed r only a shadow of themselves due to undergoing n recurrent strike actions.Do u know that due to the present strike action the country's only living immunohistopathologist died of complications of heart failure and Diabetes. IF u av evidence that doctors r exploiting patients by colleccting percentage frm patients bills why not report those drs to the MDCN. You r also aware Ghana has better healthcare service in terms of organ replacement therapy. Are you trying to say referring patients to india for affordable state of the art health care is evil medical tourism ? If so is leaving them to suffer frm lack of wat is already available n affordable in nearby india not EVIL AS WELL?

• 7 posts
    January 19, 2015 7:00 PM CET

There is absolutely no need to get defensive about this. My first statement was that patients should be aware of their options to support their right to choose. I also stated clearly that the tourism could hopefully increase government effort into our own system. I guess you decided to ignore all I said be fore and just focus on my concern about the negative aspects of what is going on with medical tourism. I never used the word evil- you did. I used the word "fairness". Please do not misrepresent what I have said in response to your initial post unless you do not want anyone having a contrary opinion to yours. In that case, I will just stay away and keep my opinions to myself. I thought the point of your posting what you did here was for comments?

This post was edited by OGO EGBUNA at January 19, 2015 7:06 PM CET
    • 7 posts
    January 19, 2015 7:15 PM CET

By the way- you very well know that nobody can report a physician of recieving such a payment based on word of mouth even if a doctor implicated in such told you himself or herself. You need hard transactional evidence. No civilian other than the police has access or right to such evidence and it is therefore a moot point to ask why I have not reported any doctors to the MDCN. The enforcement arm of the law to deter such kickbacks in Nigeria is not strong enough to depend on a simple whistleblower system. The absence of proof is not proof of absence. There a lot of things we can't prove but know happens. But again I was just showing 2 sides of the coin related to medical tourism. On one hand it has a positive effect, on the other it is bringing out the bad in doctors. 

• January 19, 2015 7:42 PM CET

Your point of view is a valid one, it pains me to say this but medical tourism is like the sea it can drown, it help provide solutions asvwell it depends on how it is used. MY sole reason why I created the post was to help drs chose indian hospitals to refer their patients wisely as well as spot the ones that r dubious.Frm wat u av said we r on the same page.BBelieve me if there is a hospital in Nigeria that can offer close to wat is obtainable there at an affordable cost, I am already sendin them px.

I.e st nicholas lagos, kelina abuja, nat hosp, nisa premier abj, bridge clinics lagos, abj, kad etc, pathcare nationwide, union diagnostics etc I see ad a friend n colleague n I respect n welcome your input as itvwill only make us better. No offense taken n none intended.

• 7 posts
    January 19, 2015 8:07 PM CET

I appreciate the understanding. The only thing I would ask is that in your provision of recommendations, you provide a clear and transparent basis for your recommendations for one center over the other and the shortfalls of any center listed as well. That is good both for your reputation as the originator of this thread and as a physician. Looking forward to reading about your recommendations. 

• 7 posts
    January 19, 2015 8:14 PM CET

By the way, central venous lines are being placed in Lagos under ultrasound guidance and telemetric monitoring. I know this for a fact because I and my colleagues put them in ourselves with amazing outcomes. In fact this coming week starting from Jan 26th-30th we are offering such central lines for various reasons- long term dialysis, long term chemotherapy etc for steep discounted prices without long waiting times. So all is not lost yet. We just need the right incentives by the government for private investment since government clearly cant fund all that is needed in healthcare. 

• January 19, 2015 10:29 PM CET

Thats commendable we wl recommend your centre to patients too.

• 7 posts
    January 19, 2015 11:09 PM CET

I can honestly say that the intent of mentioning the placement of central lines was not to get referrals. It was just to show that things can happen if we put our minds to it. As long as we dont wait for the government to do so, I am sure we can provide for ourselves through personal investment. the government can nourish such efforts by making it easier for such new startups to grow. 

• January 20, 2015 12:50 AM CET

I know that, but if u r doing smtyn good u deserve our support

• February 15, 2015 10:46 PM CET

Dear Ogo and Jonathan,

Greetings to you both and interesting discuss on medical tourism. Just like you have both highlighted, Medical Tourism has its positive and negative parts, The negative parts are underdiscussed because no one is interested at promoting these. 

Some of us as researchers have started looking at the consequences of medical tourism and I invite you to read this article I wrote with colleagues last year titled "Medical tourism and the code of medical ethics on advertisement in Nigeria" http://www.panafrican-med-journal.com/content/article/19/103/full/

I believe the more people discuss these issues scientifically, the more we will be able to learn how much benefit these facilities are giving and where their faults are.

Kind Regards'

Olusesan

• February 16, 2015 8:02 AM CET

I read your paper, its quite commendable.  I agree with you  on making the law more flexible so that hospitals and certified physicians can inform the populace about their services both routine, old and new.

But we must note also that the Nigerian health care ( public, private and hydrids) on the average are lacking behind in the following areas as enumerated below.

Not forgetting that there are over 180m people in Nigeria hence potential patients at any given time runs in hundreds of thousands or millions. 

1.Transplant medicine ( only very few centres provide some rudimentary form )

2. Cancer care; therapeutics and diagnostics( Aside lately pathcare which has a decentralized service most hospitals donot have a decentralized diagnostic service hence a doctor from one end of the country may not be able to use their diagnostic tests or services)

3 Sport's medicine ( no single dedicated sports medicine centre in the country,  if there its dysfunctional)

4 Forensic medical services

From  research the above form the core areas where we are lagging behind in essential care.

Anoher area I do not consider core is

Cosmetic surgery

people who are interested in body modifications surgeries and procedures constitute a significant amount of medical tourist from nigeria e.g was late First Lady of Nigeria Mrs Stella Obasanjo. 

Myself, ogo and u can work on a survey to further research this area

Regards

Jonathan L Ajah

• February 20, 2015 1:07 PM CET

FORTIS HEALTHCHEALTHCARE INDIA-A WORLD CLASS HOSPITAL

FORTIS ONCOLOGY CENTRE

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)